D/Thrift GSoC: First results
The first week of my D/Thrift project as part of the D programming language Google Summer of Code 2011 is over, and I am happy to be able to share some first results. If you are not sure what I am talking about yet: Apache Thrift, originally developed for internal use at Facebook, is both a data serialization/RPC protocol and its reference implementation. In short, it works by defining data types and services interface in a language-agnostic interface definition file. Then, a compiler is used for generating code from that
.thrift file (currently written in C++), using target language support libraries which contain the actual serialization protocol/RPC implementation. Currently, Thrift supports a large number of languages including C++, Java, PHP and Python.
It was clear from the beginning that I would stick with this approach for my implementation, not only because the informal project goal is to establish D as an equal target language besides the existing ones, but simply because one of the main strengths of Thrift is that you can use the same interface definition for all target languages, with the compiler doing all the heavy lifting for you. I did, however, want to leverage the powerful metaprogramming capabilities of D (compile-time reflection, CTFE, string mixins) to lift as much work off the »ahead-of-time« C++ code generator as possible, having the option to use the Thrift libraries beyond the traditional scope of the project for ad-hoc extension of existing D data types and interfaces with serialization/RPC functionality at the back of my mind.
My primary goal during the first week was to evaluate the feasibility of this approach by quickly implementing the basic parts of each Thrift component. In more detail, the sub-goals I tackled during the last week were:
Create a preliminary implementation the central parts of the support library (
TSocket, …) using the C++ and Java implementations as reference to be able to directly test the progressing D implementation against other languages.
Implement the general and client-specific parts of compile-time code generation (struct reading/writing, method arguments/result struct generation
TClient, …), using a hand-crafted Thrift tutorial interface to test it against the Java server.
TSimpleServerand related basic server functionality (e.g.
TServerSocket) to be able to test server code generation.
Complete missing server-side code generation bits (
TProcessor, server-side arguments/result structs, …), again using a hand-crafted interface to test it against the Java Thrift calculator tutorial client.
Add D code generation to the Thrift compiler, and run the compiler against all the test interface files coming with Thrift (
test/*.thrift) to catch any obvious issues.
ThriftTestserver and client in D to exercise the more advanced serialization code paths and fix any bugs, testing it against the C++ implementation.
So far, no major problems popped up, and I was able to complete the above list as planned. I did, however, hit a few bugs in DMD, which is, on the other hand, doesn’t come as a total surprise because I am heavily using the metaprogramming facilities. I have been able to find workarounds for all of the issues, but it nevertheless took me quite some time to track them down initially: issues 6069, 6077, 6078, DMD pull request 77 and – this one is merely an enhancement – Phobos pull request 65.
If you want to have a look at the code, feel free to head to my GitHub Thrift fork, where I regularly push my work to. And just to give you a short glimpse of the very basic features (a lot more is already implemented), this is how you could implement a simple calculator server/client which adds two numbers using the Thrift library, without using any generated code.